You find yourself looking at the fashion content creator moguls with 10s of thousands of followers, some even have followers in the hundreds of thousands, and you wonder…
How can you possibly hope to rub shoulders with the big dogs?
We’re here to tell you, it’s not just possible, it’s easy.
Keep reading to find out how you can become a fashion content creator, what skills you need, and how much moolah you can make from this.
- What is a Fashion Content Creator?
- What skills do you need to be a fashion content creator?
- Professional skills good fashion content creator needs
- How much does a fashion content creator make?
- How to find and apply to fashion content creator jobs?
What is a Fashion Content Creator?
A content creator is a person who produces informative, educative, and/or entertaining content that revolves around a respective topic(s). This content is then distributed through a social medium, such as YouTube, Blogs, TikTok, etc.
As a fashion content creator, your entire material will revolve around fashion. This means you have to already love and have a passion for fashion, or at least, be willing to learn.
Useful Link: How to Be a Background Actor in a Movie or TV Show
What skills do you need to be a fashion content creator?
It is a fact that being a fashion content creator is more fun than work. Nonetheless, you still have to put in the work. Here are some must-have skills that to help set you miles ahead of other fashion content creators:
- Creativity: You have to think outside the box. Come up with new ideas. Just because a competitor gains a lot of attention for a piece of content does not mean you should also follow that style. Be unique.
- Adaptability: You have to be able to keep up with the trends. Your ability to adjust to different situations helps you to remain relevant. For example, with the recent Tik Tok buzz, it's best for you, a content creator, to also tailor material that would appeal to the audience there.
- Consistency: You have to always show up. At the beginning of your content creator journey, it may get overwhelming. However, your consistency and hard work will determine your level of success.
- Well-informed: You have to know your onions in the fashion industry. You after all can't become an authority if you know nothing of the subject. Hence, you must keep up with the latest trends and happenings in fashion.
- Self-motivator: You have to be your biggest cheerleader. This is because there are going to be days when you simply do not have the drive to keep pushing out content. When this happens, remind yourself why you do what you do. it goes hand in hand with consistency.
Professional skills good fashion content creator needs
The major determinant of your professional skill is what type of content you create. If you create YouTube videos, you have to master your videography skills. If you create blog content, you have to hone your writing skills. And so on.
You might also be interested in:
The key takeaway here is; no matter how much value you have to offer, your content must also be presentable.
Useful Link: List of Special Skills for Actors
How much does a fashion content creator make?
The average salary of a content creator is $50,487 per year and can get as high as $83,500 per year.
However, as a top influencer in the fashion world, you can be worth millions of dollars such as the top 8 richest fashion YouTubers
By now, you're probably thinking; “how can I start right away?”
How to kickstart your fashion content creator career:
- You need to select a niche: While you are mainly about fashion, you also have to pick a specific area in the industry. For example, men's clothing, jeans, accessories, trendy wear, etc. There's so much to choose from. This is recommended because it's easier to build authority if you focus on a specific niche.
- Know your audience: This doesn't just consist of knowing their most preferred type of content. You also have to know their favorite platforms, their likes, and their dislikes. This will help you tailor your content to their taste.
- Pick a platform and stick with it: It might get tempting to build on multiple platforms at the same time and there's nothing wrong with that. However, it's best if you pick a forte and build on it. As a starter, your growth may be stunted if you try growing your email list on Substack while trying to boost your views on TikTok. It's best to find what you're good at and build on it. In time, once you feel comfortable enough, you can spread out to other platforms.
- Have a content strategy: You cannot simply put out any content you feel like, whenever you feel like it. The fashion space is unpredictable and a new trend can take the world by storm before you wake from a nap. This is why you have to plan your content. Set goals you want to achieve; this could be gaining new followers, increasing your click-through rate, and so on. You should also track your accomplishments as well. All of this will help you gain clarity on how far you’ve come and what you are yet to achieve.
Once you have everything figured out and you are ready to make big bucks as a content creator, you should apply for casting calls.
Useful Link: How to Become Commercial Model
How to find and apply to fashion content creator jobs?
Casting calls are opportunities for fashion content creators such as yourself to feature in short video ads, commercials, etc. These opportunities vary in payments—but they pay, which means it can be a full-time gig or a side hustle.
You can find and apply for your first casting call even as a beginner with allcasting.
Allcasting is a website designed to help connect you with the right casting professionals, sign up now to get started.